Working in the medical field as a RN for several years I have become keenly aware of the lack of scientific integrity behind much of what practitioners in mainstream medicine do on a and day-to-day basis. I also have studied in great depth holistic health ideas and approaches, and it is here that I see real promise and hope for the chronically sick patients that fill our waiting rooms, desperate for answers.
Those who ascribe to the natural health paradigm versus the mainstream medicine paradigm can’t get very far sharing their findings without hearing ‘oh those things are so unscientific, don’t waste your time”. Anything outside the direct promotion of the AMA, AHA, ADA, ACS, AAP….is quickly deemed and written off as “UNSCIENTIFIC”. Many in mainstream medicine go as far as clumping any approach that is different from their own, together and throwing a big “dangerous” stamp of disapproval on them.
The tables have turned in medicine. If a drug can be approved by the regulatory agencies, found to not kill/disable too many individuals in preliminary studies and then can be featured in the pharmaceutical-funded ‘scientific journals’……we say ‘THIS drug is a great scientific approach to handling this medical problem”. The irony of the whole system is the VAST majority of the time it is never explored WHY this medical problem is occurring in individuals. Therefore, the treatment is always a band-aid, and the REAL science behind the matter is never uncovered.
I would like to propose that mainstream medicine has fallen FAR from it’s once scientific roots. Detailed here are some of the sad realities that define mainstream medicine in the 21st century.
1. Medicine became unscientific when medical doctors programs dropped nutrition training and subsequently doctors have little understanding of what fuels the body they are treating.
2. Medicine became unscientific when doctors began handing out prescriptions per patient request (drug commercials anyone?) Come now.
3. Medicine became unscientific when doctors order tests, perform procedures and surgeries that are unwarranted, for fear of liability, rather than the individual patient’s best.
4. Medicine became unscientific when scientific literature says one thing, and doctors individual practice looks completely different, seriously lacking in scientific integrity.
6. Medicine became unscientific when patients are not aware of any other option than the one their practitioner is suggesting, and informed consent is no longer a value that is upheld.
7. Medicine became unscientific when serious drugs are licensed by the FDA for certain medical indications, and yet they are used liberally for other medical problems that they are not licensed for.
9. Medicine became unscientific when a doctor, trusted with his patient’s well-being, gives medications that cause a variety of adverse effects, and to remedy the situation, prescribes more pills, with more harmful effects, for those new symptoms, continuing a vicious cycle.
10. Medicine became unscientific when access to promising treatment options are intentionally kept from the public’s view, for the sake of the perpetuation of traditional treatment options (whether they work or not).
These realities can cause one to really reconsider their approach to their own health. With a system so broken, and a paradigm that has deviated so far from its once largely scientific foundations….the weight falls on the consumer. It is no longer possible for a person to maintain or regain vibrant well-being without taking ownership of their own health. This call to ownership is no easy road…it requires mindfulness in all health decisions and a strongly proactive approach to prevention. Please, let me remind you that the road of disease and chronic sickness is a terribly lonely, painful road. Spend one day in the hospital and this devastating reality will become crystal clear.
Put all your health eggs in the basket of mainstream medicine and the reality is you WILL be using them often, now or in the future, regardless of whether or not that is your intention. Rather, put your heart and energy into living a natural lifestyle that supports and fortifies your body, and you will have FAR less need to utilize mainstream medicine to be healthy.