- 3 very large zucchini (cut in half, then long ways, scooping out center to make a shell)
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground hot Italian sausage
- 1 c. colored peppers- diced
- 2 c. cooked white rice (or GF variation: 4 eggs)
- 1-1/2 c. marinara sauce (plus more for topping)
- 1/3 c. grated romano or parmesan
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- Saute peppers in a little bacon fat, adding a dash of salt.
- Saute sausage and ground beef together with 2 t. salt. (Strain fat for later use)
- For the grain-free version, while meat is still moist, add 4 beaten eggs.
- Add peppers, rice, romano and marinara to meat, mixing well.
- Grease glass baking dishes and place prepared zucchini boats inside.
- Scoop filling into boats, add a little water to the bottom of the dish and cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spoon some extra marinara on top of each boat along with 1/2 or so of shredded mozzarella/cheddar cheese.
- Return to oven without cover and continue to cook 15 or more minutes until zucchini is tender and cheese is golden.
Shared with Fat Tuesday on Real Food Forager, Trim Healthy Tuesdays on Stacy Makes Cents, Wellness Wednesdays on Richly Rooted, Natural Family Friday on Natural Family Today, Foodie Friday on Growing up Triplets
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.