While wanting more recipes to use for all the fresh cherries my husband and I picked this summer, I thought this combination sounded inviting as it combines two of my favorite dessert ingredients- FRUIT and NUTS. Not eating many grains, I do miss fruit pies in the summer. This dessert really meets that desire excellently. It is perfectly sweet, crunchy and bursting with flavor. I think you and your guests will really enjoy this refined-sugar free, gluten-free, whole food ingredient- Pistachio Berry Crumble.
4 cups pitted cherries (if frozen, thaw)
1-1/2 cups blueberries
1/4 cup pure maple syrup plus 2 T.
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup almond flour
2 T. arrowroot powder
½ cup shelled unsalted pistachios (or rinsed salted pistachios)
1/3 cup rolled oats
¾ cup walnuts
½ t. cardamom (or nutmeg/cinnamon)
¼ t. real salt
4 T. butter, melted
- Grease a 9″ pie plate with butter.
- In a bowl mix berries with 2 T. arrowroot powder, lemon juice and 2 T. maple syrup. Place in greased pie plate.
- In a food processor add the nuts, flour, oats, cardamom, and salt, pulse until nuts are medium to finely chopped.
- Mix in the melted butter and maple syrup. Spoon this mixture over berries.
- Bake in 350⁰ F oven until bubbly with golden brown topping. Serve warm or room temperature. Delicious served with Cheerful Cherry-Walnut Ice Cream or homemade whipped cream.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.